Nicolas Chavez, 27, was shot and killed on April 21, 2020 by police officers in Houston, Texas.
Police said officers responded to a call about a suicidal person who was armed and running in and out of traffic. It is said that Chavez was experiencing a mental health crisis when the officers found him.
Chavez reportedly ignored commands and threatened officers, according to police. After that officers fired at least 21 rounds at him. He was unarmed, although HPD claims he reached for a Taser.
Four of the officers involved in the shooting were terminated from HPD in September 2020, but the family said that’s not enough. They want criminal action. In April 2021 the family of Nicolas Chavez has filed a $100 million lawsuit against the city, the Houston Police Department and five current and former officers who shot Chavez.
In July 2021, a federal judge dismissed a $100 million lawsuit filed by the family of Nicolas Chavez, who was shot more than 20 times by Houston police last year. U.S. District Judge Lee Rosenthal granted the city’s motion to dismiss the suit against the City of Houston, the Houston Police Department and five police officers who were involved in the shooting.
MASS MEDIA ABOUT THE CASE:
“This pain that I have … I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy,” said Nicholas’ mother, Leantha Chavez.
“He never looks at it to shoot himself. He looks directly at me,” police officer said. “At that moment, I make the decision to fire my duty weapon — my pistol at him two more times to end that threat.”
The initiative group has requested the clarification from US President Joseph Biden and Attorney General Merrick Garland. The initiative group believes it is important to fight against police brutality and, if necessary, will provide legal and financial assistance to the family of the victim.